Alfisti.co.uk Homepage
FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

suds and 33's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfisti.co.uk Forum Index -> Alfa Boxer Section- General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: suds and 33's Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done most of the 'jobs' that you would expect to do on Suds, Sprints and 33's, so anyquestions please fire away, and i'll repost a reply. I'm no expert, but have had dirty hands many times!!

Regards,

John (admin)
Wanna-Fixit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: 'Sud restoration Reply with quote

Hey John,
I recently saw a beautifully restored Series 3 Ti 1.3 will rhe full plastics, think it was a 1983 and fell in love with it. I've since begun to search for my own 'Sud and have found two, a 1977 Series 1 1186cc and an early 80s Sprint, which I think is a 1.3. Basically I'm looking for your advice on which would be the better option as a restoration project, and of course which will look best when it's finished? I'd also be very happy with any advice about dealing with rust and how to treat the bodywork to make sure it doesn't come back? Finally, do you think I'd have much difficulty removing the engine and gearbox piece by piece?
Thanks in advance,
Wanna-Fixit
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don'know where you are based, but in the UK bothnthe sud and sprint rusted badly!

The sprint is arguably a more beutifull car, but the sud is probably a better drive, and a bit more 'chuckable'.

In my (limited) experience the sprints rust worse. The suds mainly go at the front end, inner wings, a posts and windscreen lower panel. this is due to all the muck from the front wheels ending up coating these parts, and getting nicely lodged between the a posts and the outer wings. The sprints go everywhere!! - including horrible places like under the rear windows.

The rust on these cars is never really surface rust, once they go, they can really go.

Some sprint panels will be very hard to find, and much more expensive. Most sud bits should still be available, though not from AR.

The engine and box come out together quite easily.

If you found or built a properly restored car, the only way to fight the rust is using something like waxoyl - evrywhere!!!!

The best protected cars in the UK seemed to be the ones made around 82-83. They used a wax called tuff-kote dinol (applied in UK) this was pretty good, and protected the rear 2/3 of the cars quite well.

The late sprints 87-89 seemed to rust the worst!! Especially the ones with the (nasty!) zender kits. These hunks of plastic helped the doors and sills to rot like mad.

Hope this helps!

John
prauguste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Alfa 33 P4 Petrol Smell Reply with quote

Hi John,

Just joined this site and saw your post. I have a white P4 and every now and then I can smell petrol. Sometimes it seems to be coming from underneath the car but then again it could be from outside as it only happens when the windows are down. Do you know where I should start looking?

Thanks

Patrick
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: petrol smell alfa 33 p4 Reply with quote

Hi,

The large diameter rubber pipe that joins the plastic filler neck tube to the tank can perish, but the tanks tend to rust badly too, to the point of actually leaking.

If the above seem ok, then check the hoses and pipes of the supply and breather. The cloth looking hoses on the sud perish- on the 33 i think they are just rubber looking.

Hope that helps.

John
Alfa33-16v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Alfa 33 16v Reply with quote

Hi John,

First, I would like to thank you for your site. It's great.

I am the owner of an Alfa 33 1.7 16v. I've been starting to have the normal problems for a car of his age.

I had the distributor, spark plugs and leads changed recently. Since then I noticed that the clutch wasn't the same. It didn't feel right. Few day fater taing it from the service garage, I wasn't able to drive it. Engine is fine. Lot of power left in that great boxer engine. The problem is with the clutch. It lookg like when you press the clutch pedal, the disks do not separate and the gear can not e engaged.

I took the car to the only service garage close to my house and for the expresion on the man's face, he hasn't seen one before.

I think the problem might be with the clutch cable but I will appreciate your oppinion.

Any good alfa service around east London?

Thank you.

Regards George.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: 33 clutch Reply with quote

Hi,

The leads, dissy and plugs should be unrelated, unless the supply hose to the slave cylinder was damaged whilst doing the dissy- look for leaks.

The most probable fault is the clutch slave cylinder itself. These are prone to failure. If you can get a torch in to look at the slave cylinder and get someone to press the clutch pedal, you can see if the cylinder is pushing the fork. If not, it's the cylinder. If the fork is moving it is likely to be the clutch itself.

The slave cylinder is a fiddy job- the circlip holding it in is a real bugger to put back. Don't let a non alfa friendly garage try this, they'll butcher your car most probably.

I have heared good things about http://www.clovertechuk.com who are in Dagenham. Run by a guy called LLoyd who could probably do the job blindfolded.

Hope that helps,

John
Alfa33-16v

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Clutch 33 Reply with quote

Thank you John. I will try with them.

I checked for leaks to the cilinder but everything looks fine and when the clutch is pressed, it looks like it is moving the fork.

I will let you know.

Kind regards.

George
33bits

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, this is a good site, Very Happy i agree that the clutch slave is the probable cause.
I have a huge supply of 33 spares with sensible price tags on so if anything is needed let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfisti.co.uk Forum Index -> Alfa Boxer Section- General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: